Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Real Post!

Ok, so I've had this blog for a while but I just haven't had any real ideas about what to write. I mostly just use facebook to do quit updates with interesting articles or ideas, so I'll try to move that over here.

I got to work this morning and pulled up cnn.com, like I do most mornings and the headline article really surprised me.

Yeah...a major American news network with a headline article that doesn't bash Muslims. I was quite surprised and impressed. CNN has had several "Generation Islam" articles that I've noticed on the front page in the last week or so, but I think this one stuck out because I'm a woman who does not see women who wear hijab as being oppressed. There is a difference between religion and culture, and I think 99.9% of women in this country who wear hijab do it because of their faith, not because a man forces them to. In other countries, such as Saudi Arabia, where culture has taken over Islam, that isn't the case.

People need to stop fearing and pittying women who wear hijab and be proud that there are still people who don't think showing off their boobs to everyone is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment